Wednesday, 23 March 2016

EDL



The reason I have folders called bins is because it helps the editor to understand which shot is taking place in which area and in this case the locations which I listed on the bins were the woods and the green room the footage I gathered from the shots I took went into the correct folder or to say bin this way I didn’t have all my footage stacked in one bin.


So as you can see the folders or bins have been labeled woods and green room this is all so that the editor does not get confused as to which footage is in which bin and it makes the film so much more organised and clear for everyone to see so this is why we make the bins I also labeled the shot which were good takes and bad takes the reason I did this was so there was no confusion on which were the good shots and which were the bad shots I did this on every shot I took even the establishing shots. The reason I did this was for the same reason as the bins so the editor does not get confused on which are the good takes and which are the bad takes. 

As the role of the editor it was also my job to categorize and to specify which of the shots were good and bad like I have already mentioned here is the shots that I took in the green room I said they good and the reason why I did this is because if they were bad the editor would not know there is a chance that in the real world if there is a bad shot and its used in a multinational film that can then end up being very unsuccessful. I also specified what shot they were if it was a close up or a mid shot. And here they were just close ups this is also an editors job to convey the story in a linear or non-linear narrative.


Making the XML file was fairly straight forward what I did was I highlighted all the footage and audio that was in my short film then I went to file and exported it as an XML I saved this and opened it with excel to show proof that i made the XML. Below is images of all the steps I took when making the XML file. The XML file was then converted into a code like format in Microsoft excel this was evidence of all the final cut this way the editor can access the EDL file with all the final cut footage of the one minute short film this makes it easier as an editor to access the work from any given time.    









                                                                                                       


Another important thing the XML file allows you to do is send a piece of work any ware around very quickly and this is so helpful for editors if they are on the other side of the world you can just send them the work with all the bins and all the good and bad takes.  









No comments:

Post a Comment